Note: Since completion of the house I have also decided to allow guest bloggers to post articles related to remodeling. This continues the education process.
Architect Selection - December 2002 through January 2003
Getting a Permit - January 2003 through November 2004
Construction - November 2004 through September 2006
Post Construction - October 2006 through ???
ForteFaucets.com and ForteLight.com Join The Craftsman Home Remodeling Network
A recurring theme in emails I receive from the Craftsman Home Remodeling readers has to do with where is the best place to get a sink, faucet, chandelier, toilet, etc., etc. I decided that I should create these two web sites as part of the Craftsman Home Remodeling Network to give our readers a place to shop for these items.
Now you can finally have the Kitchen or Bathroom you've always dreamed of - without the frustration of going from one store to another searching for that perfect faucet or fixture. All this without weeks of searching for an accessory to match. That's because we've designed an online store with over 272,000 items where you can find all the best names in kitchen and bathroom plumbing including Delta Faucets, Delta Select, Moen, Grohe, Price Pfister, Insinkerator and more at guaranteed low prices!
As your premier home lighting dealer, we are proud to offer a full range of products for the do-it yourselfer or contractor. We have an extensive online catalog of over 42,000 products offering a wide variety of home lighting products from Kichler, Minka, Murray Feiss, Quoizel, Maxim, Sea Gull, Progress, Monte Carlo, and more. Our fully trained Customer Service Representatives care for you and will help you with your product selection and any questions you might have. You can always count on ForteLight.com to have the right light at the best price.
Make sure to sign up for our newsletter. Not only will you receive home remodeling tips but I will also include coupons for the stores. Of course, I also provide these on the Craftsman Home Remodeling site, but signing up will make sure you don't miss out!
The Lighting Store is now OPEN!
Gamble House Lights, Floor Issue, Fireplaces, Ebony Plugs, Kitchen Tile
• I created the stained glass for the light in the December 18th blog post only to find out that half of them were too small. After another week of stained glass work, I finished and my fingertips were raw. I brought the glass panels to Old California Lantern Company for installation and received the lights about 2 weeks ago. They are absolutely stunning!
• The floors are installed. Lesson learned - make sure the installers verify that the door still opens before the whole thing is laid!!!
• The kitchen, laundry room, and master bathroom American cherry cabinets have been stained with Jel'd Stain Red Mahogany by Wood Kote.
• The walk-in closet cabinets are almost complete.
• The master bedroom fireplace is covered with a beautiful Batchelder tile from Mission Tile West in Santa Monica.
• The living room entertainment center is built and ready for finishing.
• Dave Barlow is installing the ebony plugs in the scarf joints around the house.
• The living room fireplace is having Moonlight flagstone installed right now. It's a very slow process as each piece is being chiseled to the right dimensions. Look on the left part of the mantel and you can see my sugar cube mockup of the stone corner. I made this to make sure they understood how I wanted the 45-degree angles handled.
• The appliances will be installed tomorrow.
• Clear-coating of the mahogany will start in about 2 weeks followed by painting the walls and ceiling.
• Glass tile from Mission Tile West has been installed in the kitchen. It looks amazing!
Well, I'm going to start uploading the pictures now and then I'm off to Kauai for my 40th birthday.
Be sure to browse the 2,000 picture Photo Gallery for more step-by-step construction details.